Friday, February 10, 2006


So I get this call yesterday from my roommate at work asking me if I knew what an ankh was. I say, "Sure. In fact, I used to have this necklace pendant of one that I wore for years, but I lost it like a month ago. I was still keeping it in my pocket as sort of a good luck charm, but I think it must've come out in the wash or something."

"Well" she said, "I think I just found it."

Turns out that as she was locking the front door to leave for work, she noticed an ankh taped to our front door. No note. Just taped by the doorknob. She then proceeded to tell me of this dream that she had about some guy trying to break into our house, and he was like some demon in clown makeup. She was very already freaked out by that, so the ancient Egyptian symbol anonymously taped to the door did not help matters.

The ankh is a personal symbol that has been around for me now for over a decade. My dance teacher in high school had used it as the symbol for her fall show, and I was fascinated by her and anything she introduced me to. That not only included the ankh, but also PJ Harvey, Bjork, and choreography, which yes I did do in her class. It was a time of discovering my personal freedom, as well as the awakening of my real creative expression. It was also when I started slowly creeping out of the closet, which continued into college in San Francisco, where I got the pendant.

Over time, I have come to know that the ankh is a powerful Egyptian symbol with many meanings. The most well observed is that it is the symbol for immortal life. It was how Gods and Kings were recognized in Egypt, demonstrating to others that they were not of mortal men. There are some who believed it was a symbol for water, while others a symbol for the sunrise.

In San Francisco, I was working in this metaphysical book shop, where my eyes were opening to many ideologies that I never even fathomed existed. It was there that I gained a further awareness of myself and found the cute little silver pendant that I wore. For me, it was a power symbol that asked me to stay true to myself, and to the man that I had set out in this lifetime to be.

So I don't know how the ankh got on our door. I mean, I guess there could be some logical explanation. My favorite is that the thing fell out of my pocket and landed on the doorstep, unbeknownst to me. For a month, it laid there until my kindly neighbor noticed it and figured it had to belong to the quirky gay kid next door. So, she taped it to the door, noteless and in a mad rush to the Blockbuster nearby for the latest season of Nip/Tuck. It's possible.

Perhaps, it's just a sign that I am meant to get in touch with my "authentic" self again. Or I am a God among mortals maybe? I should get back to choreography? Regardless, I'd love to know how it got there. I'm offering up an award that will be based on the recipient's needs. In desperate times, I have no shame. The sign of a true king.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home