Thursday, February 16, 2006

There is only one television show as of late that I have watched religiously since it's current season began. I have raced home. I have cancelled plans with friends. I have no Tivo, so I have had to be committed to the time slot.

Project Runway.

Last night, the top three were chosen for Olympus fashion week. I sat riveted to my couch as my roommate fell asleep into a thera-flu induced coma, and her cats relaxed around my neck. Chloe, Daniel, Kara, and Santino were given an opportunity to design a dress that would act as a statement on the entire collection they would possibly get to show if chosen. It was all rather entertaining, even though I am no fashion designer. I still get into the artistic element that goes into the design and making of a garment.

I love that I used that word. Garment.

So, they are all in the design room, and they are putting their dresses together, and Chloe says that she is not so sure that she wants to get in to the finals anymore. "I just don't know how badly I want it." The others are shocked. I mean, why go this far to just let the air out of your tires. Still, she finishes her dress to somewhat disappointing results, and the judges must have been reading her mind (or they watched the tapes), because Heidi Klum straight up asked her, "We question how badly you want this?" In that moment, you could see that she really had to make that decision, and she said, "I wouldn't still be here if I didn't want it. This is my passion."

Theatre was my passion for such a long time. I could talk about it endlessly. I wrote for days. I ditched classes to work on rehearsals and build sets. There was nothing I wouldn't do to lead up to the big moment of opening night. I even quit a job over an opening night once. The friends I had were bonded to me through it, and my breath depended upon it.

That is now gone.

I work in film now. And I love it. But do I find the same rush on an opening day? No. Do I get the same excitement over a poster for an upcoming release that I used to get over posters for a new show that I had directed? Not as deeply. And passion should run deep, shouldn't it?

Can passion change, and certain parts of you fight it? Or can you just forget it and get sidetracked? I want to feel that if you are in your passion, there is no questioning or second-guessing. You just know, and you want it. For that reason, I think I may be on a path parallel to that of my greater path right now. And for that reason, I think that Chloe may not win. I guess in two week's time, we'll see. For me, only time will tell as well.

And yes, I got all of this from an episode of Project Runway.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home