Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's been so long since I have written, that I almost forgot how to. Not true. But life has sort of been overwhelming and amusing and really quite busy. For those who even wonder - highlights:

- Few dates with a cutie. So unlike me to sustain a dating ritual for more than 48 hours. I applaud myself, and I applaud him even more for venturing into the craziness that is me.

- Cha Cha Lounge, on Glendale. Shocking lighting. Good drinks. A color photo booth. Pocky in the vending machine. All I needed was Jenny Lewis to walk in and my Silverlake honkytonk fantasy could have come true. Well that, and maybe they need a neon saddled bull to ride. I'm only saying...

- Lady in the Water. Most are shocked when I say I liked The Village. I have to say I kinda loved it actually. What it said about the fear we breed in our young, the fantastical score, and Bryce Dallas Howard's stunningly heartbreaking performance. I forgave most everything else. However, I am not as easily compassionate towards the new film. First off, the man is a shameless narcissist. If you want to act, go on an audition. Don't cast yourself as a writer who may have the words to save the world. It's distracting and a bit embarrassing. Now it's not to say that I thought the film was all bad. But, if you're gonna make a children's bedtime story on screen, then commit to that and make something magical. Give me Labyrinth. If you're making it for adults, then give me some deeper character development and more thrills. And also more of the social relevance as to how we forget to believe in the magic of our imagination as we get older and bogged down by the reality of it all. Isn't that the point? Anyway, M. Night owes Paul Giamatti and Ms. Howard a large mint for bringing some sort of soul to this film with a great concept but overall strange and disappointing execution.

- Family Reunion. I just found it my dad's family is having one. So stoked. My lineage awaits.

- Saturn's Return to New York. It's a book by Sara Gran that I just finished this morning. Though a bit long in its exposition, the story really opened up towards the end, and I found myself touched by the main character, Mary, and her quiet transformation. She of course is going through her Saturn Return, which she learns about at the beginning of the novel. And she goes through it, with familial loss and old loves popping back up. It helped me see that my Return doesn't have to look like everyone else's, but there is a relatable feeling of emotional confusion that underlies them all.

- I saw an astrologer. Yes. He told me to keep writing. He told me to stop relating to myself like a ten year old. He told me to move on. He told me I am really good with sexual fantasies. Yes, the astrologer told me that. I mean, really. He also told me I need hypno-therapy. Anyone know one?

- I was in one of my best friend's weddings. No, I didn't want to stop it or steal the groom. But I did get to see San Francisco again, which is always a pure delight. In fact, anywhere I can wear a hoodie in July is a pure delight for me. But I also got to see the kitties and Regina and the Golden Gate Bridge. I got to dance to "Ain't No Other Man" in the tiniest and hottest club with a bunch of fine ass man, all raised hands and groovin'. Most importantly, I got to witness love at its most blissful and pure moment. Real beauty, and I was there.

That's me for now.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home