Monday, July 31, 2006

There are various important rites of passage in our lives that we bookmark with events. Some lives begin with baptisms and many end with funerals. And in between, we see different birthdays and ceremonies. Weddings. Graduations. Pageants. Everyone's road is different. But it's these events that will forever be referred to as we learn to define who we are.

This weekend, I got a chance to see the fantastic movie Quinceanera, which follows the story of Magdalena, as she faces the traditional Mexican event that a girl takes part in to cross the threshold into womanhood. The film also has other important issues to it, most notably the cross-pollination of Mexicans and gays in the current population of Echo Park. This is most duly noted with the character of Magdalena's cousin Carlos, who is ostracized from his family for being gay (and he's fine to boot.) There's a lot more to the film and its plot then I am discussing, but you should really go and see it when it comes out this month.

This weekend, I also went to a friend's 30th birthday party. Being that I am 29, practically everyone I know is either turning 30, or is about to. Talk about a rite of passage. I am looking forward to mine, and being at this party got me to thinking about it. How do I want to celebrate thirty years of my life? I know that there is still plenty of time until then, but I want it to be the most characteristic party of myself that I have ever thrown, and of course, the greatest. I have even asked one of my best friends if she wants to do it with me, given that we share a lot of the same friends and we have been friends for ten of those thirty years. So, we'll see, but I am open to suggestions. I once had this fond idea of going with my friends to what looks like the true happiest place on earth.

But I am flexible.

Events like these are key. They can help us to celebrate our culture. They can let us see who the real important people are in our lives. And they allow us a moment to see ourselves and reflect on the triumphs and losses we have encountered along the way. So, this past weekend taught me to treat all of my own "rite of passage" events with respect, pride, and love. Because this is my life we're talking about. And if I don't have all of those things for my own life, why am I even bothering?

Shoot, maybe I'll have a quinceanera for my thirtieth.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home