Friday, July 21, 2006

Also, cause you didn't ask, here's my celebrity playlist to help get through the hell incarnate known as Summer 06. I mean, really. A Los Angeles summer used to be warm, but never New York City warm. I swear I thought we were going to have a hurricane last night in Silverlake. This one will go down in the history books. But I think with some good tunes, chilled pinot grigio, and a little love, we'll all make it through. Here's some easy suggestions to help you enjoy the rest of your summer.

This is On The Long Summer Road:

1. Jump, Madonna - one of my favorite songs overall, as I've already noted. There was an article on billboard.com regarding the lack of Madonna love on the radio these days. Warner Bros. is going to campaign to make this one a hit, the article states. Start pumping this one as your summer jam. I mean, it's in Devil Wears Prada for crying out loud, which is by far one of the best movies of the summer. Pirates of the what?

2. Ain't No Other Man, Christina Aguilera - I cannot wait for this lady's new album. Double disc=very ambitious and risky. I thought Stripped could have stripped a few more songs from it, but that's just me. Regardless, if this jam is any indication, she ain't got nothing to worry about. Hottest single the radio has playing right now.

3. Afraid, Nelly Furtado & Attitude - It's the first song on the new album, and it is GOOD. The beat is reminiscent of a Linkin Park track, and Nelly's vocals are hushed as if she's ducking for cover from trouble but still has a story to tell. This one makes me want to take advantage of the sweaty summer heat and do a little grinding on the dance floor and beyond.

4. Crazy, Gnarls Barkley - Yeah, it's been around since long before the summer, but now you can't escape it. And who would want to, given a lot of the stagnant crap on the radio. When this one chimes in, the dial gets turned up and L.A.'s traffic-ridden streets make a little more sense.

5. U & UR Hand, Pink - She is back with this one. I have to forgive her for the lyrical cliche of Stupid Girls thanks to this rough and tumble Pink explosion that better suits her aggressive nature. The new wave keyboards and Pat Benatar guitar licks make you crave the opportunity this summer to just tell somebody off.

6. SexyBack, Justin Timberlake - On first listen, I thought this was trash. Now, with more listening, I still think it's trash. But it's the kind of trash that makes me hearken back to my days at the dark, sweaty gay bars in New York's East Village, where six drinks in would have you grinding anyone in your path. The gayest summer song ever by a straight man. It sounds like a circuit party at a hip-hop club. Love.

7. The Long Way Around, The Dixie Chicks - Yes, I like them. No surprise really. They are a bunch of cute, liberal girls who rebel and write good songs. And they like the gays. This song is all about striking out on your own path, which is a good theme for me this summer. Being different is a gift. I forget sometimes. The Dixies remind me.

8. DeJa Vu, Beyonce f. Jay-Z - I have to say that I don't think it matches the more musically interesting singles from her first album, but it's a good time regardless. And girl goes off at the end like she was taking vocal lessons from Mary J. She is one of the most talented out right now, for sure.

9. Littlest Things, Lily Allen - This song is so cute. The piano makes me want to stare out the window on a rainy summer day. The chorus makes me want to play a game of hopscotch. There's a little Dido here with a bit more personality. If I lived in New York still, this would be my favorite to ride the subway to.

10. I'm In Love, The Audio Bully's - Another super cute song with a British accent. This song will make you want to be in love. You'll want to get ice creams with your cutie. The strings and rap that pop in half-way give the song an original flair that makes it memorable.

11. So What, Corey TuT - This man is one of my friends, and his music is lush, fun, and powerful. This song has the perfect blend of punky pop chords and electro intensity to make it stand out from the rest. And Corey's beautiful voice gives his lyrics an endearing quality. We all fuck up. Corey teaches us to still be in the game, even if everything around us seems nothing but tragic. Check his myspace page out.

12. Pictures of Success, Rilo Kiley - An old, old track. But for some reason, it is on the summer list. I wrote about it before - see my notes in the other blog, Music Food for Your Soul. Every summer needs one old song to keep you grounded to who you are. Like an old friend. Or an old pair of socks.

"I'm not scared, but I'd like some extra spare time."

Now please resume bringing sexy back.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home