Tuesday, February 28, 2006

First off - thanks to all you nice peeps with the kind words about my writing. Every message, comment, IM, or brunch compliment fuels my drive to create. I truly do appreciate it.

Now driving into work today, I was listening to an Ani Difranco concert album where she was reminiscing about a perfect moment in time. She was describing an experience in which she felt like everything was "just okay". "You ever have a day like that?", she asked.

I really love those moments - where you take a pause in your life and you just look around and take it all in. And you see that it's good. I know that I have been pretty blessed to experience this a few times in my life and on varying levels. There have been moments at ends of performances I directed where the actors were smiling at me across the applauding audience. Through their sweaty expressions, I could feel their joy and it made everything woth it. And there was Christmas with my family where we are all were just laughing and enjoying each other's company and a good bottle of wine. I adore staring into someone's eyes with the perfect song playing in the background. And there was the perfect moment of seeing Tori sing Cool On Your Island with Jessica at UCLA. Nothing else existed as we held hands, and Tori's voice floated peacefully into the balcony.

I don't know if it is the grandeur of these moments that causes for such celebratory pause. As I sit here at my desk right now, I am trying to look all around and pause. Norah Jones is playing on my Itunes. The stuffed penguin that sits atop my screen is staring down at me, blankly. Making me smile is my cool Confessions promo poster and the Brokeback Mountain photo gallery that adorns the back of my cube. Pictures of my mom and I, my sister and I are pinned to my wall. My amazing boss is laughing in his office. Now Alanis is playing. It sounds crazy, but I feel really good - even in this tiny blip on the radar moment.

Give it a try. Sit back in your chair - look around - take a breath. See the good.

There will always be struggle intermingled with the triumph. But I will do my best to always see the light. Even if through tears.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home