Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Shockingly, I have never traveled outside of the continental United States. I will be thirty next year. The most international locales I have seen are in Epcot Center. So, my sister is offering to help me go to Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. In like three weeks. And I am slow on the jump. I mean literally, my attitude is like "neah." How can one who is so adventurous in his outlook on life be so trepidatious to get his travel on?

Practically everyone I know traveled in college or since. Most did the Europe thing. Some went to Asia with their family. I have one friend who lived in New Zealand for a year. Another who went traveling to teach English in Thailand years ago and has gone on to study yoga in India and is now "married with child" in Israel. And here I am, thirsty to make films and "shake the world", yet I have not seen any of it. I have lived in New York, San Francisco, and L.A. I have seen the sun rise over the Wyoming plains and fallen into snow mounds around New Jersey. But I know that to be the true artist I intend to be, I MUST see the world.

Florence.
Rome.
London.
Egypt.
Tokyo.

Puerto Rico.

The Dominican Republic.

My roots.

The homeland of my grandmother and grandfather, both of whom are since gone.

Writing about it has made me more excited.

I think I'm taking a vacation. Oh, and where would we be staying?

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home