Monday, August 28, 2006

Yesterday, I let spontaneity rule.

After an amazing brunch at the amazing Off Vine with an amazing guy, I was going to go to the Sunset Junction because it just seemed like the natural thing for a Silverlakian to do. But I really wanted to go to the Hollywood Bowl for the sold-out KCRW World Music Festival. I had already given myself a lecture earlier on about how I allow myself to miss out on too much, so this was another peg on the corkboard. Sis called and said that I should just check for tickets. "You never know." So I went home and proved that I do never know, as there WERE tickets. Ten minutes later, I had two tickets and an assignment to make sis and I some sandwiches.

Walking home from a quick Trader Joe's excursion, I was proud of myself. My goal with this whole life thing is to be living a full life of meaning. In that moment, I felt like I had expanded my perception of what that means. Yes, if I had some crew of good friends to go tool around the Junction with, it could have been hours of drunken fun, and I may even have a nice tan today. But, choosing to put my physical and financial energy towards live music, which I love, and time spent with my sister, who I love, seemed the far more superior option to me. And it was a blast.

Sis and I did it right. We had a picnic at the Bowl which consisted of champagne, salads from Joans on Third, and my love-filled sandwiches. We laughed and got excited for our upcoming Puerto Rico trip. Oh yes, we going in 3 WEEKS! And we enjoyed some amazing music, including the fantastic Gotan Project and my beloved Zero 7. I was extra in love because Zero 7 was being joined by one of my favorite vocalists, Sia. Their performance of the gorgeous Destiny last night was completely otherwordly. And I was so excited to expose my sis to them for the first time. All in all, a good night of dancing under the Los Angeles night sky.

Later, as I wandered very slowly off to a restless sleep, I thought again of how good it felt to see my life as something other than a career. Most of my life, I've focused on career so much that other aspects just faded to the sidelines. And sure it's great to want to achieve a goal, but does one's job define one's life? I am very passionate about what I want to do, but am I missing out the joys of everything else a life makes? I mean, I love and get along with my parents, but we're not as close as we could be. I am finally now going on what I would consider my life's first REAL vacation. I am wanting a substantial relationship. A home. All of these things that I have THOUGHT of, but until now have always ridden in the back seat to the driver, CAREER. Perhaps it's because I am actually happy with my career path now that the doors of perception are opening, when I never even saw them closed before. Who knows? As I had found out earlier that day, I sure don't. But I do know that it's time to allow for more. And I am definitely looking forward to making life more of a Hollywood Bowl picnic. That's for sure.

And I would love Zero 7 to do the soundtrack.

What about it?

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Justin said...

fascinating. and a good point. when we fixate on something - one thing - we want to change, I'm sure we're totally missing the bigger picture.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Angel said...

That was my great epiphany. Narrow vision is so August - bring on SEPTEMBER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home