Monday, December 18, 2006

So, it’s the end of the year, which means it’s time to reflect and think back upon the people we have shared our time with, the events that have occurred, and of course, the music that we have listened to. I am all about the music. I think it scored life and the most necessary of times. Some view it as distraction in certain moments. I always view it as an elaboration to a moment. Music heightens our emotions, our reactions. It feeds the creative fire within us all. And when chosen correctly, it can even help you score.

Here are the ten CD’s that came out this year and held a firm place in my Ipod. Though none helped me score, they certainly scored my life. And of course there were others that entertained (Beyonce’s B’day, the fabulous Lupe Fiasco’s disc, Destroy Rock & Roll by Mylo), these became staples in my days of 06.

10. SUPERNATURE, GOLDFRAPP – There were days that danced and days that sought peace. Supernature had music for both those days. Though not every song leapt into the psyche’s stronghold, the ones that did burrowed in deep. And Allison Goldfrapp’s voice has the capacity to carry one away into another, more ethereal place. 06’ was surely a year that called for an occasional sensory vacation.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: Number 1, Ooh La La, Beautiful

9. CORINNE BAILEY RAE, CORINNE BAILEY RAE – Every year seems to have its ingénue. Like India Arie, Macy Gray, and Erykah Badu before her, Corinne came in and brought her lyrical enchantment to the radio waves. Her voice is reminiscent of ladies from the blues era, and her lyrics speak of heartbreak and empowerment with a firmness that encourages the notion that we’ll see more of her to come.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: Like A Star, Choux Pastry Heart, Till It Happens To You

8. BRING IT BACK, MATES OF STATE – This was such a find. I read about them on a music blog and then days later ran across their CD and Amoeba. After previewing just a couple of the tracks, I was hooked. Bring It Back was a soundtrack for much of my summer. The perky rock beats of their up-tempo tracks mixed kindly with the sad sway of their slower songs. And listening to this married couple harmonize so sweetly sealed the deal on what is a complete indie classic.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: Think Long, Fraud In The 80’s, Running Out

7. THE SWEET ESCAPE, GWEN STEFANI - OK, so the first single has her yodeling and sampling The Sound of Music. And on first listen, it’s just stupid. But on tenth listen, and on the dance floor, it’s a solid jam with a sense of humor. And that’s Gwen at her best. Now not everything on this album is as risky, or as successful. But like her last album, when she gets it, she gets it so right, it’s completely sweet. And when she’s wrong, well, it’s just wrong. Still the woman is no fool, and I give her props for spreading her original sense of creativity like a wide net over our pop culture.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: The Sweet Escape, Early Winter, Yummy

6. FUTURESEX/LOVESOUNDS, JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE - This was an album I wanted to hate. The first single seemed to me overboard and pretentious. But it infected me, and I gave in once I heard the entire album. I do think that it falls apart some towards the end. But that’s solely because the first half flows with such smooth sensuality and flair. If you listen to this with a hottie and some candlelight and don’t want to get down, there’s a problem. JT is some serious talent.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: My Love, Lovestoned, What Goes Around…Comes Around

5. TAKING THE LONG WAY, THE DIXIE CHICKS – This is about as country as I get. And from the opening moments of Taking The Long Way, there is a sense that the listener is in for a ride that surpasses the typical country terrain. Knowing the path that these women took to get to this CD (death threats, sales declines, boycotts), one cannot listen to it without feeling a greater sense of the world around them affecting the music. It’s still the “down-home” sound that is accustomed from the band. But there’s a sense of power and grace here that most musicians only attempt to create. The Dixie’s succeed.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: The Long Way Around, Not Ready To Make Nice, Lullaby

4. BEGIN TO HOPE, REGINA SPEKTOR – I came late to this party. But I’m okay with that. It’s one of those parties that was still going when I got there, and I’m glad I came, even if I missed the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. This CD rolls casually along and harkens me back to days when I first met Fiona and Tori. The songs here are heartbreaking. Poignant. Funny. Rich. And her voice plays along with control and resonance. The more I listen to BEGIN TO HOPE, the more I want to welcome hope in.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: Fidelity, Better, Summer In The City

3. SAM’S TOWN, THE KILLERS – This came out to mixed reviews, and I can see why. Some called it overblown and bombastic, and at times it could be. But the more I listened to this disc, the less I cared what others said. And after their amazing show at The Wiltern, I was sold. Call me overblown and bombastic. I won’t deny. The lyrics here are broad and grand. The melodies arena-size and anchored in emotion. And the lead singer delivers with the tortured vibrato we have not heard since Morrissey. But the sum of its parts makes all the pain, and the redemption that follows, feel so sweet.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: When You Were Young, Read My Mind, The List

2. RABBIT FUR COAT, JENNY LEWIS AND THE WATSON TWINS – This one came out right at the start of the year. And thankfully so, or else this year would have not have opened so well. Jenny is one of the best modern songwriters working today. She has a way of delving into the lyrical landscape of her songs in a way that delivers rich compositions of storytelling. The characters of her songs exist somewhere in the ether. They have hearts and lives that can at times relate to ours. And when they do, it connects with such feeling. I look forward to her going back to the band, Rilo Kiley. But this was a great pause that I met with gratitude.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: The Big Guns, Rise Up With Fists!!!, Born Secular

1.LOOSE, NELLY FURTADO – No album played more in my car, at the gym, or at home. This one was love at first listen. It helps that I am already a fan. But this is nothing like the last two albums. And frankly, I felt it was nothing like I heard this year. Sure, there was the Timbaland connection with Justin’s album, and one can recognize his production stamp easily. Yet still, Nelly brought her own personal flair to the record that at times reminded me of old-school Madonna, and at other times of my trip to Puerto Rico. The lyrics are simple, but telling. The beats are hard, but emotional. And the disc is certainly not perfect, but for me, the best of the year.
SONGS FOR THE IPOD PLAYLIST: Afraid, Maneater, Say It Right

Music is of course relative to the personal journey that we’re dictating daily. It’s imperative to find your groove and own it.

This is solely my journey, and my groove.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home