Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Well, the little strip never lies, Angel. It looks like you're pregnant."

"Great. I'm pregnant and I have the flu?"

"That too."

This was yesterday at Dr. Ando's after one of the most grueling mornings of sickness I have ever experienced. Tuesday, I was sent home from work cause the boss said I didn't sound too good. I figured it was a cold coming on, so I went to Whole Foods and picked up all one needs for a glamorous day in - organic soup and kombucha. No worries. I would be back to work tomorrow.

Then it was 4 AM Wednesday morning. Funny, I have found myself waking up at this time randomly for the past couple of months, but it was never a painful experience until now. Aches and coughing and a headache that could induce tears. Needless to say, the glamour was done.

Amazingly, my mom came yesterday and got all maternal on my ass. Took me to my doctor and to the grocery store. Bought me a juice. Ran an errand. And all the while, we chatted and laughed and I remembered just how great it is to be with her. She was actually really surprised to see me so sick. She said even when I was little, I never got sick. And she didn't remember me being this sick ever. It's so odd to me. I mean, why now?

I've been studying all about the law of attraction lately. My mom and I were talking about it yesterday. She said, "So I attract your dad's asshole behavior?" I laughed. "Well, the same way I attracted this flu." And laying in bed last night, doped up on vicodin and fading in and out of the Golden Girls (best for sick days), I wondered about why now. What was going on that I needed to be shoved away from the world and forced to cough up mucus stocked up from college. I had said last week I needed some time off, but feverish sweating through naps isn't what I had in mind. So what is it?

Well, a few things fly for me. One is that I have been all about getting healthy. Upping my workouts and protein shakes and eating well. Trying to get my body into top form. Yet, I also have been going out drinking a lot and smoking other people's cigarettes. Kinda contradictory. And bound to catch up with me. Also, I have not been sleeping well lately, and I have been practically praying for some good rest. Well, last night I had eight hours uninterrupted. It was awe-inspiring. And today, though still sick, I am much better.

Still, sickness sucks.

But I am Mr. Brightside. So for me, it's an opportunity to lay back, reconcile my body's substance trespasses, and to breathe deep. I'm catching up on movies and reading. And writing. And just spending time with me. Which never gets old. Though less body ache would suffice, I am grateful for the last couple of days. The things I miss about my daily routine are what I realize I am most passionate about. And I know my body can be strong and healthy. And that I have the power to make it so.

And that my mom is awesome.

And that I REALLY need to own more than two seasons of The Golden Girls on DVD.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home