Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I have embarked on my last week of The Artist's Way, the creativity workbook that is supposed to aid in the unblocking of one's flow. I am glad that I have almost gotten completely through the workbook, like I intentionally set out to do. And I do feel like I have gotten some clarity on how I see myself as an artist with the help of this book. Also it is good timing as I ready to step out into the world of perusing for a new career.

Now there were some circumstances at my current job that were foremost causing me to feel the job switch coming. But I recently received news that enabled me to possibly stop the search, or at least postpone it. However, in reading my chapter last night, I uncovered a type of artist roadblock called the "Test". I wondered as I read last night when I would see this "test" in my life. Well it hit me today in a meeting that I already have.

According to the Artist's Way, the "Test" occurs just as you are about to make an important creative decision in life. Basically it means that when you finally decide to leave that creatively stifling job/relationship/living arrangement is just when you are offered a promotion or a ring or a cutdown on the rent. Now this phenomenon is not scientifically proven, but I can say I have experienced it. A little over two years ago, when I finally decided to leave New York and come back to L.A. in hopes of getting into film and reconnecting with the family, I was offered my own apartment in Manhattan for practically nothing. Though tempting, I declined. In my eyes, I passed the test. And I am so happy to be in L.A.

So thanks to this workbook, I was able to recognize my next test as I stared into the wall of the conference room. Though I could have some security here right now at this job, I may have to follow my heart and go into the darkness of some territory I do not know. IF I want the future I have creatively pictured in my head for the last eleven weeks, there really is no other choice.

Man, I always hated tests in school. And they don't stop when you enter into adult life. They can get more harrowing with tougher grading curves and greater consequences if failed. I hope not to fail. And a tutor would be nice.

A really hot tutor.

What about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home