Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Thus tomorrow begins the last week of my twenties.

O Brother, where art the time?

The last couple of weeks have been consumed with work, changes around work, the wrapping up of draft one on my script, and just basically getting my shit together for the big 3-0 celebration.

And feeding the homeless.

And saving babies.

OK - so I haven't saved any babies. But, last night a DJ saved my life. OK, not a DJ. But Kele Okereke did. He is the amazing, recently-out lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Bloc Party. And last night, after being chased around for a couple of songs by angry, unhappy security men, my peeps and I settled by the bar (OF COURSE) and enjoyed one of the best shows I have been to in a while.

Well, in a day.

The night before, I saw the POWERHOUSE beauty Amy Winehouse, who KILLED it at The Roxy. She played her stunning album, Back To Black in full, which will most likely top my "best-of" list this year. Then again, there are new ones to come from Bjork and Tori this year. Is this really going to be a year THAT GREAT in music? I think, yes. Amy is crazy, with a rat's nest of hair and silly, sad anecdotes about her very current ex-boyfriend. The album is cleanly produced and raw in its truth. If you need to introduce yourself to Amy, please see below for the BRAZILLIANT clip to her new single, which is also the title track.



I am still mulling over Coachella. Thoughts? I am veering towards yes, as these past nights of concerts have made me realize just HOW IMPORTANT music is to me. (I mean, I HAVE to produce a musical someday.) Now, in preparation for my b'day, I have been compiling a CD of songs that influenced my life. I know, a completely ridiculous project, but why the hell not. You only turn 30 once. Anyhow, putting together a soundtrack to your past is rather epic and probing. Birthday or no birthday, I totally recommend it. What began as a playlist of over 100 songs has culled down now to 18. And yes, 3 are Madonna songs, but it's me so what about it. And everyone should have a personal soundtrack. I almost want to just hand it out to new friends and potential suitors and say, "Here you go. This is me. If you get it, lovely. If you don't get it, figure it out or don't listen period." Too up front?

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home